Wednesday 24 February 2010

Acceptance



In 1990, after 14 years being a single parent, I remarried.
This did not create major stress for my 3 sons. But it was a big adjustment. I waited for a sign that they are completely comfortable with this major adjustment in their life.

One night, my boys were going out together after dinner. Turn by turn, they kissed me good night. When it's time to approach my new husband, Marty, I expected the normal round of handshakes. Instead, Michael, then Tom and Tim went to Marty and hugged him for the first time. They have finally accepted their new step father.

Suddenly, I remembered the evenings long ago when I had huddled with 3 frightened youngsters. Wrestling with the impact of divorce, they had learned some basic rules for coping with life many changes and challenges. They had done well. They could handle whatever came their way. That's the most that any parent could ask for..

No comments:

Post a Comment