Thursday 12 November 2009

Father's Day



Her hair was up in a pony tail, her favorite dress tied with a bow. Today was Daddy's Day at school and she couldn't wait to go. However, her mummy tried to tell her that she probably should stay home. The other kids might not understand if she went to school alone. But she was not afraid: she knew just what to say.

The little girl went to school, eager to tell them all about a Dad she never sees and who never calls. When she reached school, there were daddies along the wall at the back of the class.Children were squirming impatiently in their seats to wait for their turn to introduce their daddy.

Seconds slowly passed. At last the teacher called her name. Every child turned to stare at her. Each of them was searching for a man who wasn't there. "Where's her daddy" she heard a boy called out. And from somewhere near the back, she heard a daddy say, "Looks like another deadbeat Dad, too busy to waste his day". The words did not offend her as she smiled at her friends. The teacher then told her to begin.

With hands behind her back, slowly she began to speak:
My Daddy couldn't be here because he lives so far away. But I know that he wishes he could be with me on this day. Though you couldn't meet him, I wanted you all to know all about my Daddy and how much he loves me so.
My Daddy loved to tell me stories and he was the one who taught me how to ride my bike. He surprised me with pink roses and taught me to fly a kite. We used to share fudge sundaes and ice cream in a cone. And though you can't see him, I am not standing all alone.
My Daddy is always with me even though we are far apart. I know this because he told me , he'll be forever with me in my heart."

Somewhere in the crowd, her mother stood in tears. She was proudly watching her daughter who was wise beyond her age. She had stood up for the love of a man who was not in her life.

Then the little girl stare straight into the crowd and finished her presentation in a voice so soft but the message was clear and loud:
I love my Daddy bery much as he is my shining star. If he could, he would have been here. But heaven is just too far. Sometimes when I close my eyes, it's like he has never been away. Then she closed her eyes and saw him there that day.
"I know you are with me Daddy" she called out to the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment