Friday 10 February 2012

Balancing A Life


Today was one of those days that a working mum would dread.

First thing in the morning, my son hurt his leg while jumping up and down on the bed. I had to cancel all my appointments and went to the doctor with a limping child. The x-rays showed that no bones broken. We stopped at a drive thru McD and I was still thinking about all those work at the office, while ordering the burgers and coke.

I passed the fries and drinks to my son, who's sitting at the back seat, and pulled into the highway. My son was yelling that he spill his drink on the seat. I tightened my left hand on the steering while trying to hand him the tissues with the right hand and looking at road all at the same time. I was so busy that I did not notice the abandoned car at the side of the road.

Suddenly the world exploded with a loud sound of tearing metal. Then everything went still. My car had turned 180 degrees and I was looking through a broken windshield towards the oncoming traffic. Crying, hurting all over my body, and mouth full of blood, I crawled out of the car and search for my son. He was thrown far out from the car. I grabbed and hug him tightly. He was conscious and shocked.

We were lucky that we came away with our lives. Another mother who had driven at 90 km per hour last winter were not so lucky. She and her 2 out of 3 children would never see tomorrow.

There is no easy answer about what a driver should do when he/she has children fighting, screaming or yelling for food when he/she is driving. There is also no answer to how a working mother can meet all the demands and pressures on her. But I do know driving and tending children at the same time can be fatal ..unless you are very very lucky.

Drive safely, you are in charge with the safe keep of those who are in your car.

No comments:

Post a Comment